Greater Portland Maine & Casco Bay, Maine’s largest metropolitan area, offers an eclectic mix of big city culture with New England charm. From Portland Head Light, Maine’s most recognized historic site, to the shops of Freeport, home of L.L. Bean, the region offers something for everyone. Sandy beaches are numerous, as are the many water sports available to the visitor, including sailing, sea kayaking, and ferry and sightseeing cruises. Cultural attractions feature the Portland Museum of Art, Portland Symphony Orchestra, and the Portland Ballet Company. Maine Event highlights feature the Maine State Music Festival, Yarmouth Clam Festival, Maine Highland Games, Tuna Tournament, and Cumberland Fair.
Counties in the Region
- Cumberland County (Population: 303,069)
10 Largest Cities & Towns*
Other towns of interest include: Chebeague Island, Cliff Island, Cumberland Center, Falmouth Foreside, Freeport, Frye Island, Gray, Harpswell, Raymond, and Yarmouth.* Population figures are based on 2020 Maine census estimates.
Climate – Average High/Low Temperatures (F)
- Portland, Maine: January: 30.3 to 11.4, April: 52.3 to 34.1, July: 78.8 to 58.3, October: 58.7 to 38.3.
Geography & Natural Attractions
- February: President’s Boat Show (Brunswick)
- June: Maine State Music Theatre (Brunswick)
- July: Tuna Tournament (Bailey Island), Bowdoin Summer Music Festival, Maine State Music Theatre (Brunswick), Yarmouth Clam Festival (Yarmouth)
- August: Maine Festival, Maine Highland Games, Bluegrass Festival (Brunswick), Great Bicycle Escape (Standish)
- September: Fall in the Village Art Exhibition (Freeport), Cumberland Fair (Cumberland)
- December: Sparkle Weekend (Freeport)
Major Historic and Cultural Attractions & Sites
- Cape Elizabeth: Portland Head Light; Falmouth Foreside: Gisland Farm – Maine Audubon Society headquarters
- Freeport: L.L. Bean, “Desert of Maine”
- Gray: Maine Wildlife Park
- Portland: Portland Museum of Art, Portland Symphony Orchestra, Portland Ballet Company, Portland Stage Company, Portland Opera Repertory Theatre, Portland Sea Dogs – minor league baseball, Portland Pirates – minor league hockey, Poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s childhood home, Portland Observatory, Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum
- Scarborough: Artist Winslow Homer’s studio.
Bradbury Mountain State Park (Pownal), Crescent Beach State Park (Cape Elizabeth), Scarborough Beach State Park (Scarborough), Two Lights State Park (Cape Elizabeth), Wolfe’s Neck Woods State Park (Freeport)
Biking, Hiking, Golf, Swimming, Boating & Sailing, Canoeing & Kayaking, Freshwater and Saltwater Fishing, Downhill & Cross Country Skiing. See Sports & Recreation for related listings and detailed information.