Maine is a great place to vacation with your pets. Most owners will surely want to bring their dog(s) along on a trip to one of the many State Parks or Public Reserved Lands, as they are family too! To help the State of Maine protect the nesting sites of endangered piping plovers and the safety of vacationers, please abide by the following pet rules:
- No pets are allowed on State Park beaches between April 1 and September 30.
- Pets are welcome on State Park beaches, provided they are leashed (see #2 below), from October 1st through March 31st.
- No pets are allowed at Sebago Lake State Park Campground.
- All other campgrounds allow pets (see #2 & 3 below).
- Pet owners may be assigned picnic or campsites in a less congested area of the park.
2. Leashes – Pets must be on a leash under the physical control of the pet handler and must not be left unattended.
3. Pet Waste – Pick up after your pet immediately and dispose of the pet waste properly.
- Are not considered pets.
- Horses are allowed on coastal beaches October 1 through March 31.
- Popham Beach requires a Horse Beach Permit.
- Horses are not allowed on coastal beaches April 1st through September 30.
- Horseback Riding locations at State Parks:
- Androscoggin Riverlands
- Bradbury Mountain – Pineland Connector Trail
- Camden Hills – on multi-use trails
- Mount Blue
- If you have questions about any other State Parks please call the park manager.
Read more Rules for State Parks and Historic Sites.