Maine Airports, Airline & Air Charter Services
Maine covers such a vast expanse of land, that it’s sometimes necessary to depend on air travel to get where you need or want to go. Other times, a chartered flight is simply an opportunity to take in a beautiful, panoramic view of Maine’s lakes, mountains, farmland, cities, and enormous coastal vista. Maine’s air travel options include three choices: commercial airlines, charter flights, or privately owned airplanes.
Maine’s Largest Airports and Airlines
The State of Maine has two large international airports, located in Portland and Bangor, seviced by several major airlines. Air passengers can then depend on reliable ground transportation options – including taxis, car rentals, shuttles, and buses – to get them wherever they need to go away from the airport.
- Portland International Jetport (PWM) is Maine’s largest airport, located conveniently only five miles outside of downtown Portland. Several major airlines fly in and out of this airport, including Air Canada, AirTran, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue, Twin Cities Air Service (limited to flights between Portland, Maine, and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia), United, and U.S. Airways. Phone: 207-874-8877
- Bangor International Airport (BGR) has earned a reputation as a “fast-growing regional airport” and is conveniently located only two hours north of Portland. BGR offers routine flights between major northeastern cities, along with various regional and national hubs in Florida, Canada, and the Caribbean. Airlines servicing BGR include Allegiant, Delta, and U.S. Airways. Phone: 207-992-4600 or 1-866-fly-bangor
Maine’s Air Charter Services
In addition to its larger airports, Maine has over 145 smaller airports recognized by the FAA, that are registered as municpal, regional, or private facilities. A few key air charter services include the following:
- Augusta State Airport (AUG), located in Maine’s capital city, provides regular flights to and from Boston, and Bar Harbor on weekends. Cape Air services AUG, along with JetBlue connections. Phone: 207-626-2306 or 207-623-7527. Maine Instrument Flight offers charter service from AUG, and flies to over 5,000 airports in the United States. Phone: 207-622-1211 or 1-888-MIF-FLYS
- Hancock County-Bar Harbor Airport (BHB), located in the town of Trenton about midway betwen Ellsworth and Bar Harbor, offers year-round services for the Downeast coastal region and Maine’s renowned tourist attraction, Acadia National Park. Phone: 207-667-7329
- Knox County Regional Airport (RKD), located on the Rockland coast, is a key facility for air travel to and from the islands; RKD also provides commercial service to other Maine locations, and to and from Boston. Phone: 207-593-9323 or 207-594-4131
- Northern Maine Regional Airport at Presque Isle (PQI) offers regular flights to and from Boston, as an essential link in the air transportation system for Aroostook county travelers. Phone: 207-764-2550
Maine’s Seaplane Fly-In Event
For something really different, check out Greenville’s Seaplane Fly-In Event. The Moosehead Lake Region of Maine hosts this event annually for the purpose of encouraging and providing aviation education to pilots and spectators alike who participate in and/or attend the event. Along with the fun of watching the seaplanes fly in, there are also recreational and competitive events. For more information, call 207-695-3631.
Whether you need to fly somewhere for business, or simply want to take in Maine’s scenery, be sure to call ahead of time to book your flight. It’s a good idea to call the day before your scheduled flight, or even the morning of your filght, to confirm prices, as well as make sure that no weather conditions or other circumstances have grounded your plane and delayed your flight.