Upcoming Cumberland County Events
- : Animals - May 06 - Gray - Creatures of the Night - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
This newest park exhibit is dark and unique. Nocturnal creatures are all around and beneath us, but we scarcely notice their existence! Learn the differences between a truly nocturnal vs. crepuscular existence; and why certain critters have adopted a dawn, dusk or completely night-time lifestyle. In addition, there will be a special display about Maine bats. Event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- : Animals - Jun 03 - Gray - Maine Warden Service Day - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
Join us for a day all about game wardens. Meet wardens and view the "Wall of Shame" display. Several warden authors will also be on hand to autograph their books about warden service, including Roger Guay, "A Good Man with a Dog"; John Ford, illustrator and game warden adventures writer; Warden Svc Chaplain Kate Braestrup, author of several best sellers, and Daren Worcester, "Open Season: True Stories of the Maine Warden Service." Paul Doiron, well known for his warden Mike Bowditch crime novels set here in Maine, will also be on hand. Event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- : Animals - Jun 17 - Gray - Mr. Drew and His Animals Too - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
Join Mr. Drew in a truly unique educational display. With the animals he has rescued and/or rehabilitated, he brings a complete and #34;hands on and #34; experience. Stop by and have your photo taken with a large tegu, boa, monitor, macaw or tortoise; then feel free to ask questions about exotic pet ownership. Event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- : Animals - Jun 24 - Gray - International Cryptozoology Museum - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
Director Loren Coleman and ICM staff introduce Park visitors to an exciting world of the study of hidden and unknown animals like Bigfoot, Yetis and Lake Monsters. Through casts and evidence uncovered, plus a life-size replica of the four-foot tall Sumatran Orang Pendek, the ICM shares info on new species recovered and others to-be-discovered. Event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- : Animals - Jul 01 - Gray - Bugs: Then and Now - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
Join Jon Wallace, retired science teacher, to explore the world of bugs. Observe some live bugs and their shed skins (exoskeletons); see fossils of a bugs/arthropods from 550 million years ago to the Ice Age and finish by looking at a bug and #39;s worst nightmare, insectivorous plants! Also, Dept. of Agriculture and #39;s Maine Bug Watch will have a display about the latest invasive pests that threaten our plant resources. Event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- : Animals - Jul 29 - Gray - Wildlife Encounters - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
Conservation is no longer just a local issue, so bring the family to visit with Global Cousins of our Native Maine Species. Several live cousins of our native Maine wildlife will be on hand to learn about and photograph. Their unique messaging focuses on sharing awareness concerning issues affecting animals, people and earth. Event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- : Animals - Aug 05 - Gray - Life of the Honeybee - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
Learn about the industrious life of the honeybee, and the role of the beekeeper. Parts of the bee hive and beekeeping equipment will be on display; and experienced bee keepers will be available to answer your questions. A variety of delicious native Maine honey and other natural products from the hive will be on sale. Event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- : Animals - Sep 02 - Gray - Wildlife Enrichment Day - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
"Enrichments" are items that provide mental and physical stimulation and exercise to captive wildlife to encourage natural behaviors, activity and play. Every hour on the hour., watch a different species receive a new enrichment and enjoy the fun they'll have with it. Event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- : Animals - Sep 23 - Gray - Wild About Whitetails - Maine Wildlife Park - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
Celebrate National Hunting and Fishing Day with MDIFW biologists and presenters to learn all about Maine White-tailed deer. See how biologists collect deer data, meet Maine white-tail expert R.G. Bernier for a deer hunting Q and A; watch taxidermist Paul Reynolds mount a deer head, see the Warden Service "Wall of Shame"; learn about fawn rehabilitation; and the kids can participate in a variety of deer-related activities. Event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- : Art - Jan 11 thru Apr 30 - Freeport - Vintage Seascapes and Marine Art - Thos. Moser Showroom - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
"Vintage Seascapes and Marine Art" is an exhibit featuring Maine seascapes and marine art from the 19th and 20th centuries from the collection of Thos. Moser, including paintings by Grace Anderson, Harrison B. Brown, George H. Hathaway, David James, Carl E. Pickhardt, W.P. Stubbs, as well as numerous Sunday painters. Also featuring new work by Yarmouth painter, Ann Mohnkern. The exhibit is on display at the Thos. Moser Showroom at 1149 Main Street in Freeport. Opening reception on Wednesday, Jan. 11 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and is on display through Sunday, Apr. 30.
- : Art - Feb 03 thru Apr 30 - Portland - The Thrill of the Chase - Portland Museum of Art - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
From 1973 to 1984, Samuel J. Wagstaff, Jr. (American, 1921-1987) assembled one of the most important private collections of photographs in the world. Wagstaff promoted photography as an art form by organizing exhibitions, delivering lectures, and publishing material on his collection. In 1984, a few years before his death from AIDS-related complications, Wagstaff sold his collection to the J. Paul Getty Museum. Numbering several thousand, the collection now forms a cornerstone of the Getty Museum's holdings of photographs. Exhibit on display from Feb. 3 through Apr. 30, 2017.
- : Art - Feb 03 thru May 29 - Portland - Artist's Choice - Portland Museum of Art - Upcoming Cumberland County Maine Events
The photographs in this focus exhibit all belong to the artist and collector Judy Glickman Lauder, who has spent her life immersed in photography. She is an acclaimed photographer herself, yet her joy in the medium began during her childhood, when she would model for her father, Irving Bennett Ellis. Lauder began collecting photographs over 40 years ago, visiting the studios of other artists whenever possible and finding community and friendship through photography, both as an artist and an admirer of the works of others. An active participant in the Maine Photographic Workshops (now the Maine Media Workshops) in Rockport, she began swapping photographs with friends she met there in the 1970s and '80s. As a result, one notable aspect of her collection is that it includes art by many of the Workshops' most illustrious alumni. Exhibit on display from Feb. 3 through June 4, 2017.